Officially sold out by 19 June 2018, the 25th edition of the Old Mutual Soweto Marathon will open its substitution period come 1 September 2018. The month long period will afford those who missed out on an entry an opportunity to purchase from those who can no longer take part and give them the chance to #RunYOURGreat on 4 November 2018!
‘Substitution September’ will run from 1 – 30 September and all changes to entries, including upgrades and downgrades, will be facilitated during this time. It’s imperative to note that any runners offering substitution entries throughout August are not valid: you may only make changes to your entry in September. The EFT option may not be used to pay for any substitutions, downgrades or upgrades. You may only pay for the amount due using the CREDIT or DEBIT CARD option. Payments done with the EFT PAYMENT OPTION will not be accepted and will not be REFUNDED.
Please take note of how the substitution process will work:
How to do an entry substitution:
If you would like to give up your entry, you will need to wait until the substitution window opens, then log into your race profile using the credentials supplied to you with your race entry confirmation email. Once logged in, you will find an option to “Transfer Entry” to process a substitution, and then follow the system prompts. A voucher code will be issued to the person giving up their entry, and this voucher code must then be used by the new entrant.
The new entrant must then visit www.sowetomarathon.com and go to the entries section, where they must process the entry as per normal. However, when they reach payment stage, they must use the substitution voucher they have received. Then the additional charges must be paid via credit/debit card – take note that there is NO EFT option available for substitutions.
Please also note the following important information:
• Once the entry has been given up, the person giving up the entry may not enter another race category for this year’s OMSM race except via a substitution.
• There will be a substitution fee of R50 plus any applicable administration fees. This will be payable by the new entrant on completion of their entry.
• If a runner substitutes their entry, it is that runner’s responsibility to collect the entry fee from the runner who has taken over their entry.
• No refunds will be processed by the event and no entrant may on-sell their entry for more than the original entry fee. Any person found doing this will be reported to their club and the relevant provincial and national bodies.
• Any products purchased with the original race entry will NOT pass across to the new entrant – ONLY the race entry and T-Shirt will be transferred, PLEASE NOTE that the original entrants selection for size will be passed onto the new entrant, the new entrant will not be able to change the size.
• The merchandise for the entry given up will be available for collection by the original entrant at the information desk at race number collection. (Remember, the original entrant will NOT be entitled to a T-shirt.)
• Entries done with a sponsor’s voucher cannot be substituted.
• Once the substitution window is closed, no further substitutions will be possible.
• There will be no substitutions or changes permissible at race number collection.
How to do a Distance Upgrade/Downgrade Change
• Runners who would like to upgrade or downgrade their distance will be allowed to do so. Please note that in the case of an upgrade the runner will be responsible for the fee difference, but in the case of a downgrade no refunds will be given.
• Please note that the race will not be allowing downgrades from the Marathon.
• Login to your entry, select “EDIT” and amend the “Distance Change” field, which can be found beneath the “Distance” field.
• Once done, select update, which will take you to payment for upgrades only.
• Please note that there is NO EFT payment option for upgrades.
• Once completed, you can log out, and you will receive an email confirmation of the change.
• All changes will be updated to the system once the Distance Change period closes at the end of September.