In the six years that we have run the DARE TO TRI Programme, the most asked question is always, “Can you help me with my swim?” It seems that for many would-be triathletes or Ironman competitors, riding up to 180km or running 42km is quite often not the biggest challenge – instead, it’s the shortest leg of the race that causes the most anxiety. For that reason, we are pleased to announce that DARE TO TRI is partnering with swim coach Jana Schoeman of Swim Smooth South Africa this year to put on specialised Swim Smooth workshops for the DARE TO TRI group.
Swim Smooth is the world’s leading swimming coaching company, specialising in simple coaching methods to help you become a faster, more efficient swimmer, and it is the official coaching provider for the International Triathlon Union (ITU) and British Triathlon. Jana is a Gauteng-based physiotherapist specialising in sports and orthopaedic rehabilitation, and as a passionate swimmer, she bought into the Australian-based swim coaching company, Swim Smooth’s slogan, “The world needs better swimming.” Earlier this year, Jana became the first Certified Swim Smooth Coach in South Africa, having travelled to the UK and Australia over the past three years in order to complete her training.
The Swim Smooth coaching methodology aims to address the three keys to improving swimming performance: Technique, training and open water skills.
• Swimming technique analysis involves a 90-minute video analysis and stroke correction session, making use of the latest technology. In most cases, the reality of what a swimmer is doing and their perception differ to a great degree, and this is pointed out through video captured from all angles above and below the water, and analysed poolside, including comparing your video to that of a professional swimmer. The stroke correction process involves live feedback relayed through an underwater headset, making it possible for the coach to communicate with the swimmer whilst they are performing specific drills to correct their stroke weaknesses.
• Training sessions not only focuses on the swimmer’s technique, but also involve optimising the swimmer’s fitness levels by developing his/her aerobic and anaerobic systems. Training involves a balance between technique, endurance and threshold training. This is facilitated through a small pacing device under the swimmer’s cap.
• Open water skills training is probably the most overlooked area of triathlon coaching. These sessions aim to teach swimmers how to face common fears associated with the open water environment, fit their wetsuit correctly, draft fellow swimmers, sight without disrupting their stroke, turn around buoys and adapt their stroke to the open water conditions.
Whether you are a beginner who would like to learn freestyle, an intermediate triathlete who wants to develop their stroke technique or an advanced swimmer looking to excel further, there is no doubt that Jana will assist in transforming your swimming. The Modern Athlete DARE TO TRI Academy will be collaborating with Jana in hosting specific swim workshops in the new season, and she will also offer personalised individual training to DTT members.
For more info on Swim Smooth, contact Jana on firstname.lastname@example.org or 082 823 9478.
Sign up for DTT Today!
The new season of the DARE TO TRI Academy 2017/18 has started and you can start training anytime as we help you reach your triathlon goals. This training programme has transformed many everyday athletes and even self-confessed ‘couch potatoes’ into triathletes that have not only finished their first ever Standard Olympic distance triathlon, but then gone on to cross the finish line at Ironman 70.3 as well as the Ironman African Champs in PE.
This year’s programme will work toward several main goal events (but we will also do other events on the calendar, including some of the shorter sprint triathlons):
• 12 August 2017: 5150 Bela Bela – 1.5km swim/40km bike/10km run
• 24 September 2017: MiWay Cape Ultra – 1.9km swim/90km bike/21km run
• November 2017: MiWay Midlands Ultra – 1.9km swim/90km bike/21km run
• 28 January 2018: 70.3 East London – 1.9km swim/90km bike/21km run
• 15 April 2018: Ironman South Africa – 3.8km swim/180km bike/42km run
The success of the DARE TO TRI programme is an affordable, manageable and sustainable training program that fits in with your family/social and work commitments. For just R1500, you will receive coaching and be able to join coached weekend group training from the 22 July 2017 till Ironman PE on 15 April 2018. You cannot get this level of coaching for a nine-month period at this cost anywhere else!
To sign up, please go to https://daretotri.canbook.me/dtt-2017 and follow the prompts to register.