Spiced Red Lentil Soup
1 medium onion
1 red pepper
2 sticks celery
1 medium carrot
225g baby marrow
125g red lentils
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
pinch cayenne pepper
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp basil
1 bay leaf
+/- 750ml vegetable or chicken stock
salt & pepper
1 Tbsp Soy/Worcestershire sauce
1. Chop vegetables finely. Wash and rinse lentils.
2. Heat oil and fry spices. Add vegetables and lentils. Stir well to coat with oil and spices. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Put tomatoes in a measuring jug and top with stock to make 1 litre.
4. Add to soup with basil and bay leaf. Bring to boil and simmer for 40 minutes, or till lentils are cooked.
5. Add salt, pepper to taste. Add soy sauce and more stock if required.
Leek, Chickpea and Parmesan Soup
3 packets (or 20) leeks, chopped finely
Chickpeas (I used 3 x tinned & drained)
100g parmesan cheese, grated
(I added chopped spring onion which was not in the recipe originally)
750ml vegetable/chicken stock, diluted
Olive oil (to braise leek)
5 chopped garlic cloves
Herbs & spices (salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, etc)
1. Heat olive oil in pan and braise garlic.
2. Add chopped leek and onion. Braise till see-through.
3. Add chickpeas and keep stirring.
4. Add grated parmesan (keep a bit for garnish after).
5. Add diluted chicken stock and boil up.
6. Remove half of soup mixture and liquidise it with a blender till smooth.
7. Add liquidised soup back to remaining soup in pot and stir in.
8. Add herbs & spices and enjoy!
Not only is this soup delicious and nutritious, it is quick and easy to make. It looks elegant when garnished and can be served all year round.
2 cups chopped broccoli – stems and florets (500ml)
2 cups chicken broth/stock (500ml)
1 cup buttermilk (250ml)
? tsp dried basil (2ml)
? tsp dried tarragon (2ml)
Garnish: salt and black pepper to taste, small broccoli florets, low-fat plain yoghurt, chives, low-fat cottage cheese
1. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, cook broccoli in chicken broth for 10 minutes or until tender.
2. Refrigerate in broth until chilled.
3. In a food processor or blender, pur?e chilled mixture, buttermilk and seasonings until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
4. Reheat just to serving temperature (or chill and serve as a cold soup). Serve garnished with broccoli, yoghurt, chives and cottage cheese.