Final chance to secure a 2017 Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon entry
Runners who still wish to secure their place in the 2017 Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon have been thrown a final life line. Substitution entries will open on 9 January 2017, and runners who can no longer participate are encouraged to release their entry to another runner before 6 March 2017.
The Substitution entry process provides an important logistical function that contributes to athletes’ safety on race day,” says Carol Vosloo, General Manager of the Two Oceans Marathon NPC.
“Runners withdraw from the Ultra, Half and Trail events for a number of reasons, but it’s not just a small matter of handing your race number over to a friend. Each runner’s personal profile - which includes important medical and emergency information - is linked to his/her race number, and the substitution process facilitates the linking of a newly-issued number to the new participant.”
Ms Vosloo warns that not following the proper substitution procedure could have life-threatening consequences, as emergency personnel rely on the accuracy of the information linked to an athlete’s race number. “We are responsible for the safety of over 28 000 runners, and we urge all athletes to not only follow the proper procedures, but to also take responsibility for their correct personal, emergency and medical information.”
The Substitution Entry Process
• The withdrawing runner must log into the online system, click the "entries" tab on the left hand side of their profile summary and then select the "substitute” button. A voucher number will be displayed and an email containing this voucher number will be dispatched.
• The withdrawing runner needs to forward this voucher number and original race number to the runner who intends to take over this entry.
• The original entry fee is not refundable.
• Withdrawing runners are not allowed to charge more than the entry fee.
• As Ultra Marathon and Trail Run t-shirts formed part of the entry, these t-shirts will be transferred to the new runner. Any Half Marathon t-shirts ordered will remain the property of the original entrant, unless it is sold (at face value) to the new entrant. Sizes will remain as per the original order.
• The new runner must take the voucher number, log into the online entry system and click “Substitution”. The withdrawing runner’s original race number must also be captured.
• Once the substitution has been validated, the system will prompt the new runner for personal and medical information (if this hasn’t already been completed).
• The cost for a substitution entry is R150. However, other costs may still apply, including the compulsory RaceTec timing chip (if the new runner doesn’t already have one),etc.
• Runners who substitute for the Ultra Marathon are required to meet the qualification requirements and have a valid 2017 running club license.
Beware of fraudsters!
With the high demand for entries - especially for the Half Marathon and Trail Runs - there are individuals who abuse the trust of runners by advertising invalid substitutions. "We strongly discourage runners to buy entries from third-party reseller sites, and any runner who is unsure of the validity of an entry may contact the Entries Team to confirm the details of the withdrawing runner or substitution voucher number first. Don't be pressured into making any kind of upfront payment without first ensuring that the transaction is valid," adds Ms Vosloo.
In an effort to streamline this process, an online notice board has been published on the OMTOM website where withdrawing runners can list their information. The list of available entries will be made available online when the substitution process officially kicks off on 9 January 2017.
Deadline for qualifier, medical & running club details submission
Runners are required to submit their qualifier, medical and running club details for their entries by 6 March 2017. This is particularly important for Ultra Marathon participants who will forfeit their entry if they fail to submit their qualifying marathon results and 2017 running club information.
For more information, visit www.twooceansmarathon.org.za, contact email@example.com, or call the organisers on 0861 262 326 / 021 799 3040
My Story (73)
Living Legends (75)
Running & Sport (69)
Balancing Act (66)
Body Science (71)
Ask an Expert (69)
Race Reports (164)
My Goal (62)
Meet the Elite (18)
Club Focus (51)
Time Trial Reviews (16)
Women's Running (50)
Tried & Tested (16)
My Experience (46)
Have Your Say (26)
Ryan Sandes (11)
Walking Wonder (4)
News Flash (183)
Comrades Marathon (60)
Dare to Tri (4)
Trail Running (2)
Kalmer's Corner (16)
Daily Motivation (29)
Event Update! (75)
Obstacle Racing (3)
Race Calendar (23)
Race Walking (1)
Editor's Blog (13)